PE and Sports Premium
PE and Sport Premium for Primary Schools
The Government provide additional funding to schools to help them improve physical education (PE) and sport. The funding has doubled this year from £8,000 plus £5 per pupil to £16,000 and £10 per pupil.
Schools can choose how they use the funding, for example to:
- hire specialist PE teachers or qualified sports coaches to work with primary teachers during PE lessons;
- support and involve the least active children by running after-school sports clubs and holiday clubs, e.g. the Change4Life clubs;
- provide resources and training courses in PE and sport for teachers;
- run sport competitions or increase pupils’ participation in the School Games;
- run sports activities with other schools.
Since September 2013, Ofsted inspections report on PE and sport provision and on how schools spend their additional funding. Schools are required to publish on their websites details of how they spend (or will spend) their PE and sport grant. They must also include detail about the impact this funding has on pupils’ PE and sport participation and attainment.